Central and Eastern European Legal Materials
CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE
Published State Gazette No. 86/28.10.2005, effective 29.04.2006, amended, SG No.
46/12.06.2007, effective 1.01.2008, amended and supplemented, SG No.
109/20.12.2007, effective 1.01.2008, amended SG No. 69/5.08.2008, amended and
supplemented, SG No. 109/23.12.2008
OBJECTIVES AND LIMITED
SCOPE OF APPLICATION
Objectives of the Criminal Procedure Code
(1) The Criminal Procedure Code shall determine the order for conducting
criminal proceedings with a view to ensuring detection of crimes, denouncement of
culpable persons and proper application of the law.
(2) While realizing the objectives under para 1, the Criminal Procedure Code
shall ensure that adequate protection is afforded from criminal offences against the
Republic of Bulgaria, the life, freedom, honor, rights and legal interests of citizens, as
well as against the rights and legal interests of legal persons, and it shall further
contribute to the prevention of crime and the reinforcement of legality.
(1) The Criminal Procedure Code shall be applied to all criminal cases initiated
by the authorities of the Republic of Bulgaria.
(2) The Criminal Procedure Code shall also apply in the execution of
commissions rogatory of another state transmitted by virtue of an agreement or through
The provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code shall also be applied as from the
time of their entry into force to procedural actions, which still have to be performed in
pending criminal proceedings.
(1) Criminal proceedings instituted by the authorities of another state or a
sentence in force issued by a court in another state, said proceedings or sentence not